Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cooking for the Crew

An apprentice's job includes cooking the meals for the staff, which means at least lunch and dinner, and sometimes breakfast, depending on the place. This requires a basic idea of a Japanese home-cooked meal which every Japanese possesses and I don't. This is not what I studied. I know high-end Japanese cookery, but I don't really know what Mom might serve. It's the difference between serving a pate and serving a green bean casserole back home. I'm so afraid to make a misstep (a neurosis throughly enforced by my last job, where everything you did was wrong always) that it paralyzes me. Well, Fugu Senpai is having none of it. He's been dropping hints that I need to get on the creative end of the staff meals and told me flat out today that it was necessary to get my butt in gear. So I've armed myself with cookbooks and sticky notes for tomorrow. I guess pressure's the fastest way to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Just browsing the blogs and came across your beautiful photo header. I've always wanted to go to Japan and already love the food (American version I suppose). Good luck on your work and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I made the food in the picture one night when I felt like trying a recipe from school on my own. It's tuna blocks topped with blanched and pressed Chinese chives and topped with a mustard sauce, served on the only nice dish I have. :) Let me know if there is anything you want me to blog about!

    ReplyDelete