Friday, August 21, 2009

Drinking on the Job

...is an integral part of the job of a counter chef, at least for the owner. Us scrubs rarely get in on the action unless a patron decides to buy a bottle for the whole house and call us all out for a toast.
The top chef's job is not just slicing and dicing, but entertaining patrons. You have to be good at conversation and be up on all the current events. It is vital to read a newspaper every day and know how to handle all sorts of people. The tables are a different matter, and they don't get the attention the people at the counter do. Smart diners will always opt to sit at the counter, as those are the ones that will get extra tidbits and special treatment. In return, it is traditional to pour a drink or five for your host. This ends up with your boss being drunk every night, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I clicked that, didn't I ?

    At your wedding party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't take it, it was just in my collection of wedding photos, so probably! It's the first picture on this blog I didn't shoot myself.

    ReplyDelete