Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hands


Every chef knows the agony of hands. Having them, I mean. They crackle on the ends of your wrists, catching on cloth and smearing blood unexpectedly. Bend your fingers and feel the skin strain to breaking over your knuckles. Try to put them in your pockets and let the grimace of pain break through your tough-guy face. All chefs have half a dozen cuts, burns, cracks and scrapes healing half-heartedly on their hands at all times, but the real enemy is dryness. Your hands are wet most of the day, washed uncounted times, in contact with soap and cleansers and bleach for hours. You may try the girly glove approach for a while, but you nearly always ditch them when you've gotten into that hardcore cleaning drive that barely allows you time for the bathroom, much less tracking down and pulling gloves already your already-devastated paws.

Forget fashion magazines or bath shops. Cooks are the ones that can tell you about skin creams. Having naturally dry skin to begin with, I suffer doubly, and in the winter my hands are twin suns of radiating pain. I've tried the range of lotions from Wal-Mart to department stores where they sell it by the ounce, all the Burt's Bees products, antibiotic cream, Bag Balm, shea butter, cocoa butter, pure petroleum jelly, prescription medical cream, etc. I've done it all, man. This is the bottom line and the only thing that keeps the pain at bay: pure lanolin. Not anything lanolin-based; you need the 100 percent smelly sheep's fat, and you need to smear it thickly on your hands at least every other night and put on cotton gardening gloves to keep it on your skin instead of on your sheets. (Rubber gloves make your hands break out and do weird stuff if you use them every night.) The gloves make hitting the snooze button interesting in the morning, but add a certain Fight Club atmosphere to the bedroom.

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog by chance, and love it! Fantastic view of a part of Japan I bet even most Japanese are unaware of. Looking forward to more, keep up the good work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Nice to get encouragement; since this is new, not a lot of that yet. Just out of curiosity, how did you find this blog? Let me know if there's anything you want me to post about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a link in a livejournal post about lotion in Japan ^^ I hope you don't mind, I've added a link to your blog from my own... cause I find it very interesting and I think other people will too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the link on your blog. It's my first link. Thanks so much! It's my first link. :)

    ReplyDelete