Tuesday, October 20, 2009

新蕎麦: Shin-Soba, New Soba

Everyone in Japan gets worked up about the 新米 (shin-kome; new rice), the first rice from the fall harvest. The rice sits on the shelves from that time on, gradually drying out and getting tougher, so the softer, sweeter new rice is much regarded.
Soba is the same. The new harvest has just come out, and the 'aroma' of the soba is stronger using the new grains. Soba, aka buckwheat, has usual pyramid-shaped seeds which are ground and made into a flour used to make the grey noodles. Our current supply comes from Hokkaido. Most soba is grown in mountainous regions where rice was hard to grow, and became the staple.
It took me a long time to appreciate these very slight differences between things like this year's and last year's soba or rice. When I first came to Japan, everything tasted blah. I couldn't understand it when people got all worked up over a fish fresher than usual or a bowl of noodles in a fishy broth only slightly different from any other fishy broth. Not having the culinary background of this country, I also did things that shocked the residents because I treated the food differently. For example, I have been known to sauté soba noodles. Don't ever tell that to a Japanese person.
I get the subtleties now, and American food tastes too heavy and sweet. But it's still with a faint air of amusement that I watch those around me get excited or outraged over food that wasn't even a part of my life until a few years ago. To quote my former co-chef, we're making food, not building bombs, people.
I still recommend the new soba, though.

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    Just have to say I stumbled across your blog and I really enjoy reading your first-hand accounts. I agree with how Japanese food is to American food. I live in Southern California so we luck out with the variety here but it's interesting to see how different food from different cultures gets translated here. Having the pleasure of experiencing food in the native countries really changes one's view on food overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post! It helps to get feedback. It's definitely an eye-opener to be involved in a foreign cuisine in it's country of origin. Let me know if there is anything you want me to post about.

    ReplyDelete